Monday, May 8

interpretation

At one time whenever I made drawings for sculpture I tried to give them as much the illusion of real sculpture as I could -- that is, I drew by the method of illusion, of light falling on a solid object. But now I find that carrying a drawing so far that it becomes a substitute for the sculpture either weakens the desire to do the sculpture, or is likely to make the sculpture only a dead realization of the drawing.

I now leave a wider latitude in the interpretation of the drawings I make for sculpture, and draw often in line and flat tones without the light and shade illusion of three dimensions; but this does not mean that the vision behind the drawing in only two-dimensional.

-- Henry Moore, in "Notes on Sculpture" from The Painter's Object, ed. Myfanwy Evans